From coloured to multi-focal, there are several different types of contact lenses that are now available in the market. A few years ago, contact lenses were used as a medium to correct vision, especially for those who didn't want to use glasses or undergo Lasik surgery. In this article, we are going to learn more about the different types of contact lenses, their uses and when to use them. If you are a newbie to the world of contact lenses, you are sure to enjoy this interesting read. Let's start by looking at the different types of lenses:
- Soft contact lenses: They are made of soft, flexible plastics. Soft contact lenses are easier to wear and comfortable in comparison to rigid gas permeable contact lenses. One of the key benefits of these lenses is that it helps oxygen to pass through to the cornea while wearing them.
- Rigid gas permeable contact lenses: These lenses are highly recommended for cleaner and crisper vision. They are much more durable than soft contact lenses. Although it may take a few weeks for you to get used to RGP's, they tend to last longer and are highly resistant to deposit build-up.
- Extended wear contact lenses: These are very similar to soft contact lenses as they are made of flexible plastics that allow oxygen to pass through to your cornea. Extended wear contact lenses can be worn overnight or you could continuously wear them for up to 30 days.
- Disposable contact lenses: They are a type of soft contact lenses too. There are different styles of disposable or replacement schedule contact lenses. They come with guidelines on proper replacement schedule and regular maintenance. From daily wear contacts to monthly replacements, depending on your requirements, there are a few options to choose from.
Which type of contact lenses are best?
When selecting the right type of contact lenses, there are certain factors you must consider. While you must consult an Optometrist for the right recommendation, here's a quick overview.
- If you are seeking the sharpest vision, rigid gas permeable contact lenses are highly advisable.
- For those who have astigmatism, RGP or special soft lenses will help correct blurred vision.
- For some, comfort is a huge factor for consideration. Conventional soft contact lenses are the perfect choice in such instances.
- Daily disposable contact lenses are a good choice for those who don't want to be bothered about maintenance and lens care.
- Bifocal contacts or multi-focal contact lenses are a highly preferred choice for those over 40 and who have presbyopia.
- Soft lenses are great for the occasional use of contact lenses, especially for special events.
It's best to schedule an eye exam to determine what type of contact lenses suit your needs. Consider your comfort, vision and tolerance as key factors while making a choice.
Daily vs monthly contact lenses, what's best?
Daily contact lenses are thin and have higher water content. These lenses are to be worn for a day and discarded right after as they cannot be reused. Whereas monthly lenses have a slightly thicker composition and are durable. To ensure you maintain eye hygiene and stay healthy, it must be disinfected regularly. Daily contacts help you with eye allergies and have lesser time for deposits to build up. Due to the smooth lens surface, they are one of the best options for everyday wear.
What are the most comfortable contacts?
Every lens has its own characteristics and features. We have already established that hydrophilic or soft contact lenses are the most comfortable ones. This is simply because they are made of flexible plastic and have high percentages of water content in them. That's not all, they ensure the flow of oxygen and have a radius of curvature that is highly adaptable to your corneas. It's best to opt for the "disposable" variant of soft lenses to avoid any allergic reactions. At Optica, we feature Vivid Daily Disposable Contact Lenses 30 Pack for KSH 1,700.
How do I choose contact lenses?
When it comes to your vision, it's important you consider comfort as a priority. It is a decision you must make with the advice of your eye doctor. Before you settle on a particular type of contact lenses, make sure you ask yourself these questions:
- How frequently will you be using your contact lenses? Is it everyday wear or only for occasions?
- How important is the clarity and sharpness of your eyesight?
- What level of care are you willing to put forward for the maintenance of your contact lenses?
- Will you wear them overnight?
- Would you prefer to have the option of changing the colours of your contact lenses?
- Do you wear bifocals?
- And most importantly, what is your allocated budget?
Once you answer all of the above questions in order of your priority, you will get to the type of contact lenses to opt for. For instance, if maintenance is a key concern, it's best to choose disposable contact lenses. Read to help you determine the type of lens to choose from.
What are monthly contact lenses?
Just as the name suggests, monthly contact lenses are those you could wear for 30 days. They must not be worn overnight and have to be removed every night before you go to bed. These contact lenses are chosen based on the schedule preferences of the individual. Monthly contact lenses have several benefits that must not be overlooked. Affordability, comfort, compatibility to sensitive eyes and durability are the reason why they remain a favourite. At Optica, you can find monthly contact lenses from premium brands for as little as KSH 400.
Selecting the type of contacts that fits your needs and schedules, is a matter of personal preference. Now that you have a better understanding of contact lenses, you could pick your favourite. But, we still recommend you to consult your doctor to validate your preference.