Exercises that strengthen eye muscles
Research studies have highlighted how simple eye exercises can naturally cure vision problems like poor eyesight, eyestrain, etc. Though you may find it hard to believe, regular eye exercises can significantly ease off the feeling of unwanted strain in your eyes.
Regular exercise can even help you minimise the side effects of other eye problems like myopia, hyperopia, cataract, etc.
How to exercise your eyes
If you are suffering from common symptoms of digital eyestrain like blurred vision, dry eyes, and headaches, you must try out the following exercises to strengthen your eye muscles. These include:
Change of focus
For this exercise, sit and change your focus at regular intervals. The steps for this exercise are:
- Set your finger straight and hold it a few inches away from your eye
- Keep paying attention to your finger
- Keep your focus steady and slowly start moving your finger away from your face
- Concentrate somewhere else for a moment and then put the focus back on your outstretched finger
- Start bringing in the outstretched finger towards your face and keep concentrating on it
- Again, look somewhere else for a moment and focus on any object at a far distance
- Repeat the above steps three-four times to ensure eye muscle flexibility
Near and distant focus
This exercise is different from the above as it allows constant eye movement to an object kept alternately in proximity and at a distance. You can try this experiment with your thumb instead by remaining in a seated position.
- Stick your thumb out about 10 inches away from your face and focus on it for 15 seconds
- Gradually shift your focus to an object roughly 10-20 feet away and focus on it for 15 seconds
- Shift your attention back to the thumb
- Repeat this exercise five times for increased eye-thumb coordination
Draw eight with your eyes
It is another exercise for the eyes that does not require you to move away from your seat.
- Focus on a point on the floor roughly 10 feet away from you.
- Draw an imaginary eight with your eyes.
- Keep tracing that imaginary line for 30 seconds before changing directions.
The 20-20-20 rule can help avert digital eye strain. The exercise is simple to perform:- After every 20 minutes, focus on an object 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
Paying attention to eye care
Regular eye exercises keep away possible fatigue that one experiences due to constant digital screen exposure. Opt for comprehensive eye checkups every year to maintain your eye health and determine the possibility of weak vision.
A detailed dilated eye examination after every few years lets you check for potential genetic eye problems. It also helps you understand the risk of suffering from eye problems due to innate diseases like diabetes or a family history of eye problems. You can opt for a free eye check up at Optica to know the underlying problem.
To protect your eyes, you must wear good quality reading glasses. It lets you read small size content and protects your eyes from the UV rays.
Exercises do not cure your vision completely, but optometrists recommend eyeglasses to people suffering from impaired vision problems. The lenses fitted in these eyeglasses magnify the content to be viewed and read.
Vision treatment starts with advising lenses that can fit across eyeglass frames of your choice. The exercises are a part of the vision therapy regimen that you learn under the guidance of eye specialists.
The idea behind practising vision therapy is to practice the eye muscles. Strengthened eye muscles assist in vision correction, thus, ensuring enhanced visual acuity and enables improved eye-tracking behaviour. Daily eye exercises can help treat the below-mentioned conditions among both children and adults alike:
- Convergence insufficiency problems
- Cross-eye or walleye problems
- Lazy eye problems
The right eyeglass frames
You must always make sure to purchase the correct pair of eyeglasses. Why not book an eye test with us at Optica? Just hop into any of our branches to get your eyes checked and then choose your eyeglasses accordingly. We offer a free eye test after you have registered yourself with Ksh 100.
Depending on your need and taste, you can choose from a wide range of women’s eyeglasses catering to the latest fashion trend. You can find a good range of elegant, simple, and stylish men's eyeglasses across online and offline branches. Even children fancy a unique range of kids’ eyeglasses found in various trendy colours and fashions.